ELLIOT SOKOLOV is a composer, producer, and sound designer whose music spans the worlds of film and television scoring, electronica, dance, theater, rock, pop, concert music, and advertising. He has scored documentary films including "The Restless Conscience" (nominated for an Academy Award), and "Kings Park: Stories From An American Mental Institution." His feature film work includes "Broadway Damage," "Roughneck" and "Comeback." Elliot's music for tv includes "Good Old Boy" "The River Pirates" "Nova" "Nature" "P.O.V." "National Geographic Explorer" "Intimate Portrait" and "Sesame Street." As half of the duo Air Force 1, he co-wrote and produced "See the Light Feel the Heat" on Streetwise Records, a club favorite and alternative radio hit to this day. Elliot has received a Composer Fellowship from the U.S. National Endowment for the Arts and other grants and awards. He has a Masters degree in music composition from Columbia University.
Elliot recently composed the score for the short film "Michael Joseph Jason John". His musical "Seneca Falls" was produced by the Open Eye Theater in Margaretville NY in July 2017; his opera "Icarus Rising," had performances at Raritan Valley College, New Jersey in 2015. Elliot's score for the documentary "Kings Park: Stories From An American Mental Institution" can currently be seen in film festivals and screenings throughout the U.S. The soundtrack album is available on iTunes and Amazon.
Elliot Sokolov bio
ELLIOT SOKOLOV is an eclectic composer, producer, sound designer and remixer whose music spans the worlds of film and television scoring, dance and theater, concert music, electronica, and rock and pop.
Elliot recently composed the music for the dance opera "Icarus Rising," commissioned through a grant from the O'Donnell-Green Dance and Music Foundation and premiered at Raritan College in New Jersey. He scored the compelling documentary film "Kings Park: Stories from an American Mental Institution," which continues to appear to critical acclaim in film festivals and mental health conferences throughout the USA and Europe. His work also includes a new score for a re-staging of "Powers Of Ten," a dance work originally choreographed by the noted American choreographer and modern dance pioneer May O'Donnell, which was performed in the Peak Performances series at Montclair State University, New Jersey. Elliot co-wrote and co-produced the hit record "See the Light Feel the Heat" on Streetwise Records, a college/alternative radio and club favorite for years after it's release.
He has also composed scores for the indie feature film "Broadway Damage" and television shows including Nature, Nova, National Geographic, and Sesame Street.
Elliot Sokolov has received a Composer Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts, a fellowship from the New York Foundation for the Arts, several grants from Meet the Composer, and numerous commissions and performances. He holds a Masters degree in music composition from Columbia University. Sokolov's "Seven Soundscapes" was recorded by the Hampshire String Quartet on Opus One Records. "Pipedreams" for Organ and Alto Saxophone was commissioned and recorded by the late NY Philharmonic organist Leonard Raver and has been widely performed. Elliot's concert music has also been performed by The Contemporary Trio, the New York City Brass, the Charles Ives String Quartet, and many other individuals and groups.
* DOCUMENTARY FILMS: "Kings Park: Stories From An American Mental Institution"; "The Restless Conscience" nominated for an Academy Award); "Turn To Me"; "Golden Threads" (featured on P.O.V. on PBS); "The Burning Wall" (prize winner in several film festivals and released theatrically); orchestration for the dance documentary "Suzanne Farrell: Elusive Muse", (nominated for an Academy Award, broadcast on PBS.) "Mekong Tipping Point" for Stimson Center.
* FEATURE FILMS: "Broadway Damage" written & directed by Victor Mignatti (DVD available); "Comeback" released by Troma Films.
* TELEVISION: "NATURE: A Celebration Of Birds" on PBS; "GOOD OLD BOY" on Disney Channel & PBS Wonderworks; "NOVA: War Machines of Tomorrow" on PBS; NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORER: "Lifestyles of the Wet & Muddy"; INTIMATE PORTRAIT: "Eve" on Lifetime Cable; ABC AFTERSCHOOL SPECIAL "Seasonal Differences"; "MONSTERS: Pool Sharks" (syndicated); music for art video "NOSFERATU" featured on MTV's "ArtBreak" and PBS "New Television; "SESAME STREET": music and songs for more than 100 animations broadcast worldwide. "WAY COOL" all scoring for syndicated series. "MINORS", (winner of Academy Award in the student film category, featured on Showtime.)
* SHORT FILMS: "Retractions"; "The Introduction"; "A Summer Tale"; "Little Dancer".
CONCERT MUSIC / DANCE / THEATER: "Pipedreams" for organ and saxophone, featured on the CD "Contemporary American Organ Music" (Classic Masters); "Seven Soundscapes" recorded by the Hampshire String Quartet (Opus One Records). Elliot Sokolov has composed for many dance companies, including Joyce Trisler Dance Company, Verlezza Dance, Laura Glenn/Works, Rebecca Kelly Ballet. His music for the dance-theatre work "The Minotaur Among Us" was commissioned by mythologist Joseph Campbell, and choreographed by Jean Erdman. His children's musicals "The Nightingale" and "The Odyssey" published by Dramatic Publishing, and have been produced at schools all over North America.
Former participant in the BMI-Lehman Engel Musical Theater Workshop and the ASCAP Musical Theater Workshop. Theater scores include "La Belle Au Bois" and "Selkie," produced by the Open Eye Theater.
* POPULAR MUSIC: As half of the duo Air Force One, Elliot co-wrote and co-produced the dance single "See the Light, Feel the Heat" which was originally released on Streetwise Records in the mid-1980's and re-released on the CD complation "80's Underground Club Hits" in 2006 and "Essential House" in 2007. One of the first records featuring a totally sampled vocal (by President Ronald Reagan), it was a college radio and club favorite for years.
Producer/ remixer of several top ten dance hits by dance music artist Ernest Kohl.
* ADVERTISING: PSA's for UNHCR Darfur Aid; TV commercials for AT&T, Burger King, Charles Schwab, Duracell, FEMA, ITT Industries, PHARMA, Prestone, Theraflu, U.S. Census, United Technologies, UN Refugees.org, Weight Watchers, many others.
* CORPORATE: music for a/v media for companies including Bellevue Hospital; Canon, Hale House, IBM, Lavine Group, Merck, North Shore Animal League, Pratt & Whitney, Sony, Technion, United Artists Theaters and others.
* AWARDS / EDUCATION: Composer Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts; Artists Fellowship from New York Foundation for the Arts; Grant from O'Donnell-Green Music & Dance Foundartiion; several grants from Meet the Composer; Bronze Medal - International Film & TV Festival.
Masters of Arts degree in music composition from Columbia University. BA in music from Binghamton University.