John Lennon Songwriting Contest - Session 1
The John Lennon Songwriting Contest is an international songwriting contest that began in 1997. The Contest is open to amateur and professional songwriters who submit entries in any one of 12 categories. The JLSC is open year-round and features two Sessions -- with 72 Finalists, 24 Grand Prize Winners, 12 Lennon Award Winners and 1 Maxell Song of the Year.
You don't need a professional recording. Entries will be judged on originality, melody, composition, and lyrics (when applicable). Your songs may be entered in any of the following categories: Rock, Country, Jazz, Pop, World, Rhythm & Blues, Hip Hop, Gospel/Inspirational, Latin, Electronic, Folk, and Children's. Instrumental compositions are encouraged.
Natasha Bendingfield, Ryan Shaw, Fergie, Al Jarreau, Bob Weir, Lamont Dozier, Matt Pinfield, Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees, Jesse Harris, The Black Eyed Peas, The Bacon Brothers and Ken Komisar are all members of our Executive Committee of Judges.
Winners will receive Studio Equipment from Roland, Edirol, Godin Guitars, and Audio Technica, Propellerhead, Ableton and Sibelius, 1,000 CDs in full color with premium 6-panel Digipaks courtesy of Discmakers, an Apple iPod Shuffle and gift certificates from Musiciansfriend.com. One entrant from the ROCK or POP genre, will be chosen to TOUR and PERFORM for one week on Warped Tour 2010, receive a Crate Half Stack and Ampeg Bass head/Cab Set, and a Homepage Feature on Purevolume.com! One Lennon Award winning song will be named "Maxell Song of the Year" and will take home an additional $20,000 in cash courtesy of the Maxell Corporation, an Apple G5 Power Mac, Cinema Display a Mackie Mixer and Studio Monitors, Logic Pro software, and a $250 Gift certificate, for each band member, to Digital Media Academy, at a participating university.
If you are not already a Broadjam member the submission process is easy:
1. Register with Broadjam
2. Upload your songs and lyrics
3. Submit your payment
JLSC ALUMNI MAKING SOME NOISE!!!
- The Urgency - 2006 Rock Finalist: The Urgency has signed with Mercury/Island Def Jam Records and is currently recording a full length with David Bendeth (Paramore, Hawthorne Heights) at The House of Loud in NJ.
- Tally Hall - 2005 Pop GPW - Signed to Atlantic Records in 2008 - Tally Hall is an American Indie-Rock band formed in December 2002 based in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The band released their major label debut record, Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum, on April 1st, 2008
- Quietdrive - 2003 Rock GPW, The pop punk band based out of Minneapolis, Minnesota released their debut album When All That's Left Is You on May 30, 2006 on Epic Records. As of April 2008, Quietdrive has parted with Epic Records and released their newest album, titled Deliverance, on October 14, 2008 with the Militia Group.
- Sean Hosein, Dane Deviller - 2001 Pop GPW - The duo, under the writing team name called Banana Toouns, has crafted and/or produced hits for: Jessica Simpson, Kelly Rowland, Amy Grant, Stacie Orrico, 98 Degrees, The Corrs, Gloria Gaynor, as well as Laura Pausini. Hosein and DeViller’s works have earned numerous worldwide Gold and Platinum awards and have amassed international sales in excess of 35 million albums. Hosein and DeViller also founded Shred Records.
- Keaton Simons - 2007 Folk Finalist. Signed to CBS Records in 2007. The Los Angeles, California Singer-songwriter's new album Here Me Now is now out! His unique brand of bluesy, soulful rock has been featured in film and television multiple times.
- Echovalve - 2004 Rock GPW - Signed to Rock Ridge Music in 2006. The Atlanta, GA Rock band just released their major label debut record, entitled helloagaingoodbye and is currently touring in support.
- Crazy Anglos - 2005 Rock GPW – Signed to Atlantic Records in 2006. The nu metal/rapcore band from Marietta, Georgia, United States are currently working on a new record.
- DEXTER FREEBISH - 1999 Pop Winner - Signed to Capitol Records in 2000. The Austin, Texas based band released one record on Capitol, before parting ways and pursing their goals independently. Their songs have been featured in several video games, mostly in the famous video game label, Electronic Arts, like "Ghosts" in Tiger Woods 2004, "Save Me" featured in Superman Retuns, and both "Falling Down" and "Life of Saturdays" in NHL 2004. Their song "Pretty People" was also re-recorded in Simlish for Maxis-Electronic Arts game The Sims 2: University.
- Peter Cincotti - 2006 Jazz GPW - Signed to Warner Brother Records. The New York, NY singer, songwriter, and pianist's latest work, East of Angel Town, features all original works by the artist and is scheduled to be released January 13th, 2009 in the USA
"Lennon" and "John Lennon" are trademarks of Yoko Ono Lennon. All artwork ©Yoko Ono Lennon. Licensed exclusively through Bag One Arts, Inc.